17 Things You Should Know About Nigeria’s Queen Of Afro-House, Niniola Apata As She Turns A Year Older
Niniola Apata better known by her stage name Niniola is a Nigerian singer and songwriter.
Widely known as Nigeria’s Queen of Afrohouse, Niniola has experienced immense growth in her career over the years.
Here are a few interesting facts you should know about her.
1. Niniola was born December 15, 1986 in Lagos State.
2. She is a native of Ekiti State.
3. Her late father (RTD) Brigadier-General, Simeon Olaosebikan Apata founded Apata Memorial High School in 1980. He was assassinated in1995.
4. She had her primary and secondary school education at Apata Memorial High School.
5. She is a graduate of the University of Lagos where she bagged a Bachelor’s degree in Education.
6. She competed in Season 6 of Project Fame West Africa where she placed 3rd Runner-Up.
7. Niniola is the older sister to Teni The Entertainer.
8. She released her first single ‘Ibadi’ in 2014 which received massive airplay in Nigeria.
9. She was nominated in the “Most Promising Act to Watch” category at the 2015 Nigeria Entertainment Awards.
0. In 2017 Niniola went on to release another single titled ‘MARADONA’ which went on to become a global hit and got her recognition from international acts like Drake.
11. The hit song’ MARADONA’ earned Niniola a BET Awards (Viewers Choice Best International Act Category) and SAMA nomination in 2018.
12. On 7th August 2018, she became the first female Nigerian artist to cross 1 million monthly listeners on Spotify.
13. On Friday the 9th of November 2018, Niniola headlined her first-ever concert “The Human Radio“.
14. She has won many awards some of them include Best African Collaboration for “Mbilo Mbilo” (Remix) at the All African Music Awards (AFRIMA)in 2016, Female Vocalist of the Year, Nigeria Teens Awards 2017, Youth Artiste of The Year at Maya Awards and Person of the Year, Glazia Awards both in 2018. She also won Best Female Act, Ghana-Naija Showbiz awards in 2018.
15. Her song, Maradona got featured on Beyonce’s Lion King Album on the track ‘Find your way back’.
16. Niniola describes her style of music as “Afro-House”, a blend of afrobeat and house music with lyrics mostly written in Yoruba.
17. She is involved in a number of projects including the scholarship program which started in June 2015, the “Adopt-A-Child’-Education” project.