Justice Dongban-Mensem Nominated By Buhari As President, Court Of Appeal + 13 Interesting Facts About Her
President Muhammadu Buhari has finally nominated Justice Dongban Mensem, the Acting President of the Court of Appeal for confirmation as Court of Appeal President today, June 8.
Here are some facts about her.
1. Justice Monica Bolna’an Dongban-Mensem was born on 13th June 1957.
2. She is the daughter of M.B. Douglas-Mensem; a retired Appeal Court Justice.
3. She bagged her LL.B and LL.M from Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria-Nigeria and a Post Graduate Diploma from the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London, Russel Square – London.
4. She was Registrar of Plateau State High Court in 1979 and Magistrate of various grades up to Chief Magistrate between 1981 and 1990.
5. She was Visiting Lecturer on Press Law at the Catholic Media Centre, Kaduna from 1988-1992, and Part-time Lecturer at the University of Jos between 1989 and 1997.
6. She served as Deputy Chief Registrar, Superior Courts, and Protocol Affairs, from 1990-1993, and was appointed Judge, High Court of Justice, Plateau Judiciary from 1993-1996.
7. Dongban-Mensem became the Judge, Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Judiciary from 1997-2003.
8. She was Acting Presiding Justice of the Lagos Division of the Court of Appeal between November and December 2009.
9. She launched a book titled ‘The Defendant’ in 1991.
10. She founded Pa William Mensem Education and Scholarship Foundation (PAWMESFO) in 2009. The foundation was able to build a school, named after the jurist’s father, Pa William Mensem in Plateau State.
11. She founded a road safety organization called Kwapda’as Road Safety Demand (KRSD) after she lost her first son, Prince Samson Kwapda’as Dongban. It is the most efficient and popular road safety NGO in Nigeria.
12. She is a mother of four children (one deceased) and two grandchildren.
13. Before her nomination as Appeal Court President, she was appointed Acting President, Court of Appeal on Mar 6, 2020