The suspected kidnap kingpin arrested in Abuja has been identified as John Ewa as against Lyon John
According to the police, before he went into full-time crime, Ewa John was a dispatch rider for a commercial bank
While working at the bank, Ewa reportedly ran several errands for his superiors which gave him access to privileged information that was supplied to criminals
Nigerians were stunned following the story of John Ewa, the suspected kidnap kingpin behind a series of high-profile kidnap incidents in Bayelsa state, who was recently arrested by operatives of Operation Puff Adder in Abuja.
Vanguard reports that the suspect’s real name is John Ewa against the name Lyon John that trended on social media.
Here are some things you need to know about him:
- He changed his name to John Lyon when he was a dispatch rider at a commercial bank.
- He was sacked due to alleged involvement in criminal activities at the bank. While working at the bank, he had access to privileged information due to him running errands for superiors. He fed these to criminal elements to carry out operations.
- After he was sacked, Ewa recruited boys to run a kidnap syndicate with specialisation in kidnapping high-profile residents of the state.
- Security men got on the trail of Ewa after the arrest of two suspects, Kingsley Innocent and Godlives Donald, who were involved in the kidnap of Mr Danjuma Emeije, a manager with Premium Trust Bank, Yenagoa.
- Ewa runs Lyon Interior hub as a cover for his criminal activities, The Sun Nigeria added.
- He is also known for his lavish lifestyle, spending at nightclubs in Yenagoa.
- The suspect reportedly masterminded the kidnap of the sister to former governor Seriake Dickson. During interrogation, Ewa confessed to being involved in only two kidnap incidents.
- Ewa will soon be paraded before the media.