Lagos, Nigeria – Most Revd. Humphrey Bamisebi Olumakaiye, the Archbishop of the Ecclesiastical Province of Lagos, died on Sunday evening, October 30, at the age of 53.
The Diocese of Lagos, Anglican Communion, announced Most Revd. Olumakaiye’s death on Monday, October 31.
Here are some facts to know about the late respected pastor.
Background: When was Most Revd. Humphrey Olumakaiye born?
The late Archbishop hailed from Idanre, a town in Ondo state, southwest Nigeria.
Olumakaiye was born on January 28, 1969 at Okene into the family of the Venerable and Mrs. T.A. Olumakaiye, according to The Punch.
Most Revd. Olumakaiye’s educational history
- The late Christian cleric started his Education at St. Michael’s primary school, Esie in 1975.
- He then proceeded to Government Secondary School, Omu-Aran, Kwara State, in 1982.
- In 1983, Olumakaiye left Omu-Aran to conclude his Secondary education at Cherubim Seraphim Secondary School, Ilorin, in 1986.
- The deceased bagged his first degree in Religious Studies from the University of Ibadan between 1991 and 1993, and a Master’s Degree in Religious Studies in 2001.
- He went further to obtain a doctorate degree in Church History and Doctrine from the same university.
Most Revd. Olumakaiye’s religious calling
Olumakaiye became a deacon in June 1993. He was ordained a priest in December same year by E.A. Ademowo, Bishop of Ilesha Diocese, following his training and graduation from Immanuel College of Theology.
He started his ministry at Christ the Saviour Anglican Church, Cappa, Ilesa, Osun State, in June 1993.
At age 40, Olumakaiye was elected Bishop on May 22, 2009; he was consecrated Bishop in 2009 in Yenagoa, Bayelsa state, while he was enthroned on Thursday, July 16, 2009 at Cathedral church of St. Philip’s, Otan Ayegbaju as the first Bishop of Anglican Diocese of Osun North-East.
Olumakaiye was elected for translation into the Diocese of Lagos on Tuesday, February 6, 2018, and enthroned as the eighth Bishop of Lagos on Monday, July 30, 2018, at the Cathedral Church of Christ, Marina, Lagos.
On September 25, 2021, he became the Archbishop of the Province of Lagos and was officially enthroned on Sunday, November 7, 2021, at the Cathedral Church of the Advent, Gwarimpa, The Guardian stated.
Most Revd. Olumakaiye’s marriage
Olumakaiye was married to Motunrayo Funke, who is a professor and former head of the department of nutrition and consumer sciences, faculty of agriculture Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile -Ife, in Osun State.
They had a son, Richard Tunbamise.